Brianna has a wrist fracture on her right arm. She's in a temporary splint for now until Robert takes her to the orthopedic surgeon on Friday to get her permanent cast. Monday, she fell off of a ladder attached to bunk beds and I'm certain that in her fall grabbed on to a nearby shelf and ended taking it down with her. Her face was scratched up a little and fractured her wrist.
Interestingly, this is the first official broken anything in her family, including Robert and myself. None of us have ever had broken bones and had to be in casts, so this is a new experience for all of us. Not to say that this is the end of the world by any means and I know that this happens to kids all the time. In my mind, I know that she will be fine and twenty years from now she'll vaguely remember even having this incident.
However, in my heart, I don't think I'll ever be the same. My baby has been broken and I wasn't there to pick up the pieces.
One of my biggest fears is something horrible happening to one of my kids and not being there when it happened makes it that much worse. I've always wanted struggled with being a working mom, but it is what it is and I've come to accept that this what I have to do for my family. When Brianna was hurt I was at work and so I wasn't the one to comfort her and wipe away her tears. My heart breaks for her that she felt all alone and didn't have her mom to console her. I wonder what was going through her mind at the time and did she ask for me? Luckily, Bailey was out of school shortly after it happened, so she was able to be there for her. However, how can she provide the comfort that Brianna needed that only her mother could provide?
Now in no way do I want to imply that my sitter is incapable of doing all of this; however, if you are a parent, then I'm sure you understand the anguish I'm feeling.
Brianna is in pretty good spirits over the whole thing, but she's a little worried about her splint. She keeps asking Robert and I what the kids at school are going to say about her. However, I think all is well because after going to school with it on today she didn't say anything about the kids making fun of her.
Me on the other hand? Every time I look at her arm it is a constant reminder that her little body was in pain and I couldn't take that away for her.
I know that I'm being over dramatic, but it's just who I am. I worry SO much when it comes to my kids and I don't know how I'm going to manage when they are older. As it is now, I just want to build a bubble around them and protect them all the time. I know that this is impossible, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with. My poor kids don't know what they have in store for them when it comes to their worrying momma...

Doesn't she look so pitiful?


My tough girl...
I'm so sorry!!! Please forgive me! :) She does look pitiful in those pictures. Will you still be my friend? And let her come to my house?
ReplyDelete