Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to school

Today was the first day of school and what a day it was!

Bailey started 1st grade, WOW! In just one year I am amazed at how much she has changed. Something about going to school has taken away some of her innocence. I'm sure part of it is just growing up as well, but she's already showing signs of attitude and I'm not quite ready for that. I figured I would have at least a few more years until I had to deal with it. She's also developed this new tendency to always have to speak her peace about her actions/decisions when she is in trouble. I swear I think this girl is going to be an attorney because she can argue with the best of them! She's been very nervous about 1st grade all summer saying that all they do is work and there is no more centers. I've actually been kind of worried because she wasn't very excited to go back to school, but tonight at dinner she said she had a great day. I guess that's a good start for now.

Brianna started Pre-K and she was so excited. Bailey's Kinder teacher from last year is teaching Pre-K this year and that is who Brianna got. She is so excited to have Mrs. Norris, so I think that helped with first day of school jitters for her. Unfortunately, Mrs. Norris had a death in the family, so she wasn't able to be at school today. I think her school day went well, but getting her from school to the sitter's house was a nightmare. She was supposed to ride the bus to her house since Pre-K is only half a day, but somehow the bus managed to go to the wrong house. An hour after Pre-K was over, Brianna finally made it to the sitter's. I was a nervous wreck the whole time worried about my baby and her being traumatized on her first day of public school. Later I found out that the only thing she was worried about was missing lunch. Go figure! When it comes to food, Brianna doesn't miss any meals.

My day was an overall success, but being the first day of middle school it's hard to tell on some of the kids will be. I'm sure their true colors will shine soon enough. After a LONG day at school, I was eager to get home and see my babies and hear about their day. Being a working mom is so difficult sometimes and I feel like I miss SO much. I'm lucky that I am a teacher and I have the holidays and summer to spend time with them, but that time is not enough for me. I miss so many little things that other moms take for granted and probably don't even realize. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, but LOVE my kids that much more. I'm sure someday I'll be able to balance better between the two job. Anyway, back to trying to leave work. As I was backing out of my spot in the parking lot, I was rear-ended. Great! What a way to end my day. Luckily, there wasn't that much damage, but still something I wish had not happened. I felt really bad for the person that hit me, though. He is a fellow teacher and I'm sure was very embarrassed. I just told him that's why we have insurance. He was more worried about what his wife would say...LOL.


All in all, though, the day was stressful, but a success. Only 179 more days to go....














No comments:

Post a Comment