Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The loss of a wonderful man

Yesterday, Robert's maternal grandfather, James McPherson, passed away and left behind a wonderful legacy for his family to remember and cherish. He was a Christian and always had insightful wisdom to share if you were willing to listen. He was a family man and made sure his family was loved and provided for. When Robert was a teenager he needed money to pay for his first car, so his grandfather loaned him the money. Being the business man that he was he made sure that Robert payed him back, including interest. In fact, when Robert was ready to propose to me, his grandfather loaned him the money for my engagement ring!

One of my first memories of James was when I was going to make deviled eggs for a McPherson family get together. The family gets together for every holiday, and I mean EVERY holiday, and they have traditional food that everyone brings. Since Robert's cousin was not going to be able to make it to the get together and she normally brings the eggs, I volunteered to step in. Usually, Robert and I were charge of the ice, so you can't mess that up! However, this time I was actually going to have to make something for everyone to eat. When James heard that this was what I was making, he gave me these words of wisdom:

"Be sure to make those eggs with Blue Plate mayonnaise."

You see, the McPherson family ONLY eats Blue Plate, so I wouldn't dare want to make it with anything else. I was very nervous in making these eggs because in my family we use Miracle Whip, and if you know anything about it, it definitely does not taste like mayonnaise!! I guess the eggs turned out okay because I wasn't banned from making things for family functions. It was then that I learned the importance of Blue Plate mayonnaise in my future husband's life. In fact, when Robert and I first moved to Texas after getting married you couldn't buy Blue Plate mayonnaise, so when his mom or dad would visit us they would have to bring it out here for him. Luckily, we now can purchase Blue Plate mayonnaise at our local grocery stores, so everything is right with the world!

Robert's grandfather helped me to buy my first car. I had a 1990 blue Chevrolet Cavalier and my senior year of college I decided that it was time for me to buy a new car. Since I knew nothing about buying a car and the whole process seemed overwhelming to me, Robert asked his grandfather to come along. Since he spent 40 years in the Finance Division of Lockheed, it seemed only fitting that he be the one to come along. I vividly remember contemplating about getting a car that was a standard because it was cheaper and it seemed sporty to me. However, Robert's grandfather being a man full of wisdom and traditions told Robert that he was not going to allow me to buy a car unless it was an automatic. It was then that I realized that he was going to take care of me as though I was one of his own. He talked to the salesman and helped me walk away with my first new car in my own name!

Robert's grandparents attended Mt. Zion Methodist Church and helped in building of the church many years ago. In fact, there is a brief history on the church website that talks about the McPherson family and their contribution to the church's history. Robert and I were married in this church and when the sanctuary was built a year or so before our wedding, members were asked to donate money to pay for the stained glass windows. Robert's grandparents purchased the large, circular window that is shown below.


The picture does not do the window justice, because in person it is BEAUTIFUL! I obtained this picture from the church's website; however, since Robert and I were married there we have several pictures with this in the background. It is very sentimental to me because it's not just a window, but a window that was actually purchased by a patriarch and matriarch of his family.

Robert and I started dating in 1996 in Georgia and I was unable to travel to Texas that Christmas to see my family, so I attended my first Christmas away from home with him and his family. His entire family welcomed me and I felt as though I was already a part of their family, including James. Since we moved to Texas in 1999, we travel to Georgia to visit Robert's family and we make it a point to see all of the grandparents. I always enjoy these visits because I only have one living grandparent and I feel as though James is another grandfather of mine. He always welcomes me with open arms and I enjoy the time that we get to visit. Usually, part of this time is spent eating at the Varsity because this is one of the few requirements that Robert has when we are in Georgia.



The last time I saw James was last summer when we came to visit. Since his health has been deteriorating over the last few years, Robert and I thought this may be the last time we saw him alive. In fact, we were visiting with him when Braden took his first steps! It was awesome to be able to see him and for him to witness his youngest great grandchild, at that current time, walking for the first time.



The funeral will be Friday to honor this beloved man and Robert has gone home to attend. I am not able to be there since the kids and I need to be at school, but I know the funeral will be an awesome event. The legacy that this wonderful man has left will be displayed when I am certain that the viewing and funeral will be overflowing with people that have been touched by this amazing man. Even though I know the family is heartbroken over their loss, I know that the overwhelming turnout in his memory will show them how much he meant to so many people.

Rest in Peace, Grandaddy McPherson. I take comfort that your body is no longer suffering and you are at home with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment