Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blackberry pickin'

We ventured out last weekend and took the kids to a local orchard where you can pick blackberries.  It's a short thirty minute drive and a local favorite for many people.  



It's our first time to visit Ham's Orchard and the kids were very excited.  They each got their own bucket and were ready to pick some blackberries!


First, Daddy had to give a quick lesson on which ones were ripe for the pickin'.





Then, they were off!








Braden needed a little assistance because there's no telling what he would have picked.  Even the girls were happy to help him out.  He was very proud of what was in his bucket.


 Although, he didn't last very long and Daddy had to take over.


I tried to get a picture of all three kids at the same time and with them moving very quickly, the sun shining in my face, and the camera not cooperating, I only had ONE opportunity to catch my photo.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized there was more in the picture than I bargained for...


(and I'm not talking about the stranger standing in the distance in the photo)
 


Brianna won the prize for the day by finding the biggest blackberry!




It was HUGE!!
Although, the picture doesn't do it justice.  In hindsight, I should have taken a picture of it next to a normal size so that you can see the difference.  :(



Other than the Texas heat getting to us, it was a blast and quite an experience that we will definitely do again.  However, next time we will have to go a little sooner in the season when the blackberries aren't so picked over.  Also, the ones we picked were very tart, so no one wanted to eat them. 

So, I decided to add a little sugar and VOILA!


I just hope it tastes delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment